About Us

This blog is changing, just as our family is changing. It was originally started to keep in touch with family and friends far away, but when you face a life altering disease EVERY aspect of your life is changed and in some way effected by it. Now I need a place to vent, to share, to help people understand the struggles that we face as a family with 2 children that are struggling with the Disease Eosinophilic Esophogitis, and with all of us having multiple food allergies. So this blog is becoming my journal so to say, an outlet for me to express my frustrations, share my joys, and put all information into one place for those that want to know. Why share something so personal, and often too hard to bare? Well...so much of this disease is silent. We work so hard to help our kids lead a normal life and no one sees the struggles faced daily, and I think it is important to let people know and understand.

What is Eosinophilc Esophigitis?

What is Eosinophilic Esophogitis? Also known as EE, or Eos, or EoE.

First let's start off by saying, there is NO CURE! There is NO FDA approved treatment. And often the only form of successful treatment are large doses of steroids and/or elimination of "trigger" foods, which sometimes as in the case of our 2 boys is an elimination of ALL foods. Forcing them to be on an Elemental Formula ONLY diet and water.

Second let's start with the layman's definition as I know how to explain it, and then I will add links with better medically explained and more in depth definitions. Eosinophils are a form of white blood cell, and in persons with this disorder these eosinophils attack food as if they are a parasite, causing damage to nearby tissue in any part of the digestive tract (in our case the Esophogus). This causes reflux that often does not respond well to reflux meds, vomiting, pain, aversions to food, rashes, diahrea, constipation, and many more symptoms like leg and joint pain, headaches. All of which these symptoms lead to more and more problems from which many you will learn about by reading my posts.

One of the bests places for accurate up to date info go to: Apfed, http://apfed.org/drupal/drupal/index.php

And of course this blog reads most current posts first, so I'll do my best to label important posts to help you catch/keep up.

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Handy Hubby

So with trying to figure out how to be a good mother while trying to keep the house clean, I’ve noticed that normally one or the other starts to go downhill. I decided that I needed a calendar to keep track of what I need to get done but paper ones don’t work because I am constantly changing things around depending on appointments and other events so it ends up a blob of scribbles. The computer never works because it takes too much effort to check it when I need to remember things. So my wonderful Hubby offered to make me a calendar and this is the almost finished project. It’s a magnetic board so that I can easily change my schedule. It’s going to have monthly, events, chores, activities and any other type of magnet you can imagine. I am using scrap booking stickers and little wood pieces. I just realized that the cost of them add up so we will be collecting them slowly whenever we can find them on sale, or when Uriah can scroll saw some. It’s awesome though isn’t it! Uriah never ceases to amaze me! I’ll have to add a picture when we have all the magnets. Feel free to send me any extra scrap booking stickers you don’t want… Hee Hee! Just kidding! (Sorry for the glare)

No comments: